Thursday, April 5, 2012

Lucky Bucket Brewery and Solas Distillery

On a recent trip to Omaha for a meeting with our equipment supply and kitchen design company for Single Barrel, Ross, Craig (the beverage manager) and myself stopped by the Lucky Bucket Brewery and Solas Distillery for a visit and tour. Lucky Bucket had contacted us about selling their beer at Single Barrel and we wanted to see what they were all about and visit with them a bit. I've been drinking their beers for quite a while. Actually, when I was first getting re-excited about beer Lucky Bucket Pre-Prohibition style lager was one of the first that I started drinking regularly. I've always liked their beer and when I tried their winter snowsuit it was my favorite winter seasonal of the year so I knew the product was good. I'm actually really excited about the beer list at Single Barrel since I'm getting quite a bit of say on what is going to be listed.
The first thing that impressed me about these guys was that when we showed up a bit early and were waiting for the sales rep that we set the appointment up with to get there the president of the company came over and started chatting with us about what we were doing at Single Barrel and while talking with us he opened us each a bottle of their brand new just released that actual day Heartland Wheat. Know I was already impressed that the president of the company was interested enough to come over to talk with us and then giving me beer is also another great way to butter me up.
After Chris the sales rep showed up we started to learn more about the short but prosperous growth of the company and started to sample some of their single batch and seasonal beers. I was very impressed by several of them. They had a black IPA called the Raven which is one of the best of that style of beer that I've ever had and black IPA's are one of my favorite styles. They also had a saison that was incredible.
After several samples we started on the brewery tour to see what was happening behind the scenes. Very cool small but very busy brewery. While we were on the tour we also got to taste their Zomb Bomb which is a 17% Imperial IPA monster of a beer. We all just tried a sip since we already had done quite a bit of tasting. It was a beast but really good. Easily a beer that could get you in trouble fast.
We also talked with them about the Solas Distillery which is also doing some very cool things, like making the first single malt whiskey in Nebraska. Kinda perfect for a place called Single Barrel right? It won't be done until next year but we can't wait and will be highlighting at Single Barrel. They also produce Joss vodka which will be offered at Single Barrel as well.
The view from right inside the door.

Barrels with whiskey and some other secret projects
The copper stills imported from Scotland
The tanks
Chris our sales rep giving us the up close tour of the brewery.
The barrels aging their best (and my favorite they offer) regular offered beer: Certified Evil

Overall I was very impressed with the brewery, people and beers. I can't wait to do some really cool stuff with them in the future. We are already talking about a Food and Beer dinner with them.
Beer drank while writing this post: Heartland Wheat by Lucky Bucket Brewery out of La Vista, NE

No comments:

Post a Comment