Thursday, April 5, 2012

My $.02 on Pink Slime

I've had several people ask me about what I think about Pink Slime or lean finely textured beef. When I read about it and learned what it was my first reaction was that I think it is horrible and not good. The more that I read about it and thought about it I started to have some mixed feelings.

Some part of me wants to think that it is ok. I'm a firm believer in using the whole animal. When I say the whole animal I mean everything inside and out, which I would guess would also mean the lean meat that is processed out of fat and turned into "pink slime". It is a way to utilize something for food that would get thrown away. It is supposedly safe and keeps the price of some ground meat low which for some people would probably just fine.

The other part of me thinks that it is wrong. Ground beef should be labeled if it has a product in it like that. For me I would rather not eat it. I think it really becomes a quality issue. I don't think the quality of meat with finely textured lean beef in it is doesn't have the same quality standards as pure ground beef. I know that in my restaurants we will not be using it in the beef that we grind and I won't use it in the beef that I buy for my family. I feel there are probably other things that it could be used for.

A big part of the problem is the closed doors and windows of the places like meat packing plants etc. people would have a better idea of what there food is, looks like and were it comes from.

I guess in the end what do you want to eat:
This?
lean finely textured beef

Or This?

pure ground chuck

In my final opinion it comes down to a personal choice. For me, quality always wins out and I don't want it in my ground meat and I'm willing to pay a bit more for it (but I also grind my own so it doesn't matter). If you want cheap meat and the quality is second to you than fine, by all means buy it. My biggest thing though is that it should be labeled. If it is in it it should be labeled pure ground meat and lean finely textured beef, even in restaurants that are going to use beef that is a mix of the 2. I would rather not eat anything that has been sprayed with ammonia, no matter how little or insignificant it is.

Here's a video of Jamie Oliver that I liked explaining it. Most of it I agree with and a couple of things I don't but its still pretty good.:

Beer drank while writing this post: Fallen Angel Sweet Stout by Empyrean Brewing Company out of Lincoln, NE

1 comment:

  1. Couldn't agree more, we started grinding our own sterling chucks at home recently, and the difference is huge, meat is so buttery and has so much more flavor in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete